Wednesday, April 27, 2011

It took a lot of work to get Elio to the point where I could ask him to get dressed and he would do it by himself. First he would put his head in his shirt and I would help him with the arms. Soon I would help him pick his clothes and help with tricky parts like socks, zippers, and buttons. Now he does it all himself. My favorite part of this is the outfits he puts together. Lately they have often been topped off with the headband he got in tae kwan do class. Another favorite wardrobe piece is his Christmas themed socks. They seem to go with everything!
Sometimes I see other kids in cute outfits where everything matches and is seasonally appropriate, but then I think about the independence choosing your own clothes creates. For me clothing was always a big source of creativity, and I want to create that opportunity for my children. I hope they enjoy having the power to choose what the wear. I certainly enjoy seeing the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment