Saturday, April 2, 2011

I am not one of those obsessive runners who has to run every day. I wish I had a little bit of that, just a little, but I don't. It is always a struggle to put on my shoes, to get out of the house. But once I am out the door there is no place I would rather be. I love the sound of my feet on the pavement, the sound of my breathing. I love how everything else falls away. I never ran track in high school. I always failed the presidents fitness test. I was one of the girls who walked the mile in P.E. I never wanted to sweat, never wanted to look stupid. Never wanted to fail.

I started running in my early twenties. I was a trail runner. At first I walked up the hills and ran down then little by little I could run further, run faster. I could run up hills I thought were impossible. Now I live in the city. Now I am a road runner. I don't run as often or as far as I used to, but it still gives my so much peace. A little time to myself where nothing matters, only my next step. I can think clearly when I run.

Now I run races. Not to win but to keep me running. And I don't care if I sweat. I don't care if I look stupid. I know I will not fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment